Monday, May 7, 2018

Super-fast cashew chicken

After indulging in some incredible take-out cashew chicken a few weeks back, I'd been craving it again.

I planned to make a recipe from an old favorite cookbook but then realized I didn't have any hoisin sauce, so I had to improvise. I checked out a couple of other cashew chicken recipes and decided to create my own.

Having trouble with the site I use to load my recipes, so here it is plain and simple:

Super-fast Cashew Chicken

Note: I eyeball everything--these measurements are approximate...add more of the flavors you like.

Ingredients:
About 1.5 cups cooked shredded chicken or diced chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken!)
3 large carrots chopped how you like them
4 celery stalks chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 scallions, white and light green parts chopped
1/2 cup dry-roasted cashews
Sesame seeds

Instructions:
In a large pan over medium heat, drizzle olive oil (enough to lightly coat the pan). Add the carrots and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the celery.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients from garlic through ginger.
Once the vegetables are crisp-tender, add the chicken. Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir, coating the chicken and the vegetables. The sauce will thicken a bit. Then, add the green onions and cashews to finish the dish, stirring everything together.
Serve over rice and top with sesame seeds for garnish.



No comments:

Post a Comment