Thursday, November 1, 2018

Minutes with a Marvel: Emily Lagreid

Emily + her daughters, Caroline and Lily.
When time is scarce, I'd rather tell a bit about a brilliant woman than miss an opportunity to share an inspiring story. So, I've been peppering some wonderful women with four simple questions in the hopes that the answers are immediate and effortless (of course I'd love to sit down and interview but that's not always in the cards!). MINUTES WITH A MARVEL is meant to briefly highlight an outstanding lady and share her quick responses to meaningful questions that might inspire you or at least get you thinking...

The questions:
1) Where do you get your energy/what motivates you?
2) Who (other women) inspires you? Or are there any specific social media feeds that inspire you?
3) Pie-in-the-sky dream or ambition?
4) Go-to recipe


Today's MARVEL is Emily Lagreid. 

A handful of years ago, the hustle and bustle of her high-powered, big-city job coupled with the desire to raise her family to the tune of a simpler life prompted Emily Lagreid and her husband to make a big change. Dreaming of a better life, they devised a plan to relocate their then-family of four from Seattle to eastern Washington, find jobs, and purchase acreage to build their dream home. The process took years—they lived with family then rented a home while thoughtfully constructing their retreat atop literal amber waves of grain. And Emily found a flexible job, enabling her to balance her career and family life, which now includes a third little. Her story is inspiring not just because she took a risk and made such huge changes but because she had a vision and faith that everything in her life prepared her for this grand adventure. Now instead of sitting in traffic, Emily watches the sun set on the beautiful life she and her husband have created…crops, chickens, dogs, babies, and all.  

1) WHERE DO YOU FIND YOUR ENERGY?

“Anyone who knows me would say I get energy from my favorite pastime, napping. Yet I am raising a 3-year-old who thinks sleep is overrated. So now I find my energy in the mornings. I've made a habit of starting my day with a cup of hot tea, my favorite candle burning, and my kids cuddled around me on the couch. In the summer we do this on the front porch and watch the sunrise together. Listening to their sleepy little voices tell me about their dreams from the night before helps me reset on what this season of my life is all about. A lot of my motivation comes from the example I want to set for my children. I want them to take risks, chase their dreams, and be satisfied in finding their own definition of happiness. So when doubt creeps in, I focus on those things and find new energy and confidence in living the life that's right for my family and no one else's.”
 
2) OTHER WOMEN WHO INSPIRE YOU?

“I'm inspired by moms who aren't scared to chase their dreams while raising babies. Kikkan Randall was a standout high school cross-country skier while I was growing up in Alaska. Now she's a mom in her mid-30s like me. But she isn't like me. She won America's first gold in cross-country skiing at the 2018 winter Olympics, as a mom at 35!  I watched the race with my two daughters and cried as I told them that she was a mom who was living out her ultimate dream. She's simply amazing. She has no reservations about who she is (the pink hair that my girls love) and a great model of resilience.

“Also, one of my oldest friends dreams of writing her own book so she set the goal to read 100 books in 2018. She's read 81 books so far this year, while raising three kiddos! AWESOME! She doesn't watch TV and reads at naptime. She reminds me that passion can be in so many different areas of your life and that you choose how to prioritize your time when chasing your dream. She also gives the best book recommendations. She gave Ghosteda great review, so it’s next on my list at the library.”

3) PIE-IN-THE-SKY DREAM OR AMBITION? 
“To be a hobby farmer or run an outdoor pre-school.”

4) GO-TO RECIPE?
“Zuppa Toscana soup.”

No comments:

Post a Comment